Sunday, March 29, 2020

Poem for Sunday and Carderock Flowers

The Bluebell
By Emily Brontë

The Bluebell is the sweetest flower
That waves in summer air:
Its blossoms have the mightiest power
To soothe my spirit’s care.

There is a spell in purple heath
Too wildly, sadly dear;
The violet has a fragrant breath,
But fragrance will not cheer,

The trees are bare, the sun is cold,
And seldom, seldom seen;
The heavens have lost their zone of gold,
And earth her robe of green.

And ice upon the glancing stream
Has cast its sombre shade;
And distant hills and valleys seem
In frozen mist arrayed.

The Bluebell cannot charm me now,
The heath has lost its bloom;
The violets in the glen below,
They yield no sweet perfume.

But, though I mourn the sweet Bluebell,
’Tis better far away;
I know how fast my tears would swell
To see it smile to-day.

For, oh! when chill the sunbeams fall
Adown that dreary sky,
And gild yon dank and darkened wall
With transient brilliancy;

How do I weep, how do I pine
For the time of flowers to come,
And turn me from that fading shine,
To mourn the fields of home!

--------

It was overcast and drizzly at times on Saturday -- kind of Seattle weather, though not too cold. I did a bunch of photo scanning and sorting in the morning, then we had bagels and went to walk along the canal, this time at Carderock, where we've had luck in previous years seeing frogs though perhaps because of the weather we weren't as lucky today. Still, we took a nice long walk while seeing few other pedestrians, so social distancing was easy, and there were ducks and birds and lots of bluebells down by the river.

DSCN6743

DSCN6723

DSCN6731

DSCN6726

DSCN6748

DSCN6728

DSCN6734

DSCN6715

Now that it's free, we binged the rest of Picard, which I'd thought was going downhill but nothing could have prepared me for the sheer awfulness of the finale. I'll have to do a separate post about it so I don't spoil people who haven't watched yet, but objectively I think it was worse than both the Voyager and La Femme Nikita finales though I loved those shows more so I hated the endings more, and if I loved Picard more I'd be devastated. We also watched Hail Caesar, which has its flaws but was a lot more relaxing and fun!

No comments: