Friday, March 12, 2004

Poem for Friday and <a href


The Undiscovered Country
by Thomas Bailey Aldrich


Forever am I conscious, moving here,
That should I step a little space aside
I pass the boundary of some glorified
Invisible domain -- it lies so near!
Yet nothing know we of that dim frontier
Which each must cross, whatever fate betide,
To reach the heavenly cities where abide
(Thus Sorrow whispers) those that were most dear,
Now all transfigured in celestial light!
Shall we indeed behold them, thine and mine,
Whose going hence made black the noonday sun? --
Strange is it that across the narrow night
They fling us not some token, or make sign
That all beyond is not Oblivion.

--------


Friday Five:
1. What was the last song you heard?

"April Come She Will" by Simon and Garfunkel.
2. What were the last two movies you saw?
Mystery, Alaska and Virtuosity.
3. What were the last three things you purchased?
Food, hair conditioner and shark's teeth necklaces for my kids.
4. What four things do you need to do this weekend?
Write articles for work, get milk, drive my kids to assorted lessons and fold laundry.
5. Who are the last five people you talked to?
My husband, my older son, my younger son, and . Unless online conversation doesn't count as "talking" in which case the latter two should be my son's friend and his nanny.


The plumber is coming to fix the leak in the kids' bathroom, and so I am stuck in the house. Ah well, at least I should have time to read and get work done at a reasonable hour.

I posted a bunch of Russell-Crowe-as-Jack-Aubrey pictures here, because I have a thing for the long hair and the ruffles. I found the pics at this wonderful site which also has animations like this one of Jack getting out of the water shirtless. There are also some ABM pics there I hadn't seen before. Guh.

I know this is an unpopular opinion among some of my friends, but I would have suspended Bertuzzi and his coach. I don't care how much the referees turn a blind eye, nor how hockey players are subtly encouraged to fight like that, nor how the league may have subtly encouraged the coaches to let their players engage in such crowd-thrilling behavior; nor do I care how sweet a guy he is when he isn't trying to commit violent crimes on the ice and how sorry he is now (I'd be sorry too, if my career might be cut short and I might lose a few of my millions to fines and lawsuits). Having now watched the footage carefully on the news, I think it's a miracle nobody died and there aren't manslaughter charges pending. I knew watching Mystery, Alaska yesterday that there was a reason (besides my eyes having trouble following the puck) that I avoided hockey, and now I remember what it is.



GIP, cuz I felt like it.

No comments: