Friday, March 19, 2004

Poem for Friday and <a href


Flèche D'Or
By James Merrill


Windowglass, warmed plush, a sneeze
Deflected by the miracle
Into euphoria's
Authoritative gliding forth,
The riddle of the rails
Vitally unmoved in flight
However fast
I run racing that arrow
Lodged in my brain
Down the board platform beyond hurt or hope
Once more, once more
My life ended, having not,
Veils lifted, words from the page
Come to my senses
Eased of that last arrivederci deep
In book or view, my own
Fleet profile calmer catapulted due
North a pane floats off, desire sinks
Red upon that piercing stubble--"Traveler,
Turn back!" the tracks
Outcry, din flash fade, done,
Over forever, done I say, now yet
Might somebody
Seeing it all (for once not I or I)
Judge us wisely in whose heart of
Hearts the parallels
Meet and nothing lasts and nothing ends

--------


Friday Five: If you...
1. ...owned a restaurant, what kind of food would you serve?

Seafood. With a lot of vegetarian/vegan selections for people who don't eat seafood. Also, we would have the best chocolate desserts in the region.
2. ...owned a small store, what kind of merchandise would you sell?
Books, jewelry, cards, candles, accessible art and crafts, amulets, crystals, homemade scarves, very selective music by local performers, shirts with slogans to empower women...New Age stuff.
3. ...wrote a book, what genre would it be?
Magical realism. But shelved under fiction, not sci-fi/fantasy.
4. ...ran a school, what would you teach?
Liberty and justice for all. Though personally I'd teach literature.
5. ...recorded an album, what kind of music would be on it?
Considering that I can't sing or play an instrument for shit, it would feature my favorite folk singers singing my favorite folk songs that they haven't recorded yet.

DePaul, where I did teach for two happy years, won in overtime! And UConn won which will make my in-laws happy. Sooner or later, all my teams in Maryland's quarter of the tournament are going to have to play each other, aren't they? Waah.

Off to catch up on my life.

No comments: