Thursday, February 09, 2012

Poem for Thursday and Norwalk Seals

Winter Is Good
By Emily Dickinson

Winter is good - his Hoar Delights
Italic flavor yield -
To Intellects inebriate
With Summer, or the World -

Generic as a Quarry
And hearty - as a Rose -
Invited with asperity
But welcome when he goes.

--------

Winter toyed with us today, which began with a weather advisory that had been canceled a bit past midday and some sun that quickly became gray, overcast skies. The snow arrived late in the afternoon, but since the temperature stayed above freezing, it didn't stick on the road at all and it melted on the deck after a few minutes. The gloom and doom was enough to keep me from the one errand I had intended to do out of the house, a trip to the post office, which is just as well because we need more packing tape; I worked here, finished up trip laundry, and chased the cats off the vents.

In case I have not sung the praises of Amazon Prime recently, let me do so again: I got it free for a month when I got my Kindle Fire, discovered that I could watch it on the Blu-Ray player and have been binging piles of streaming sci-fi ever since. Tonight it was Fourth Doctor -- "The Ark in Space" and "The Pyramids of Mars," both with Sarah Jane Smith as companion, and though the plot of the first is pretty silly and the plot of the second has some pretty painful Egyptian stereotypes, they were great fun to watch. I had a request for more photos of the harbor seals at the Norwalk Aquarium:















No comments: