Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Poem for Tuesday and Brookside Geese

Birds Punctuate the Days
By Joyce Clement

apostrophe
the nuthatch inserts itself
between feeder and pole

semicolon
two mallards drifting
one dunks for a snail

ellipses
a mourning dove
lifts off

asterisk
a red-eyed vireo catches
the crane fly midair

comma
a down feather
bobs between waves

exclamation point
wren on the railing
takes notice

colon
mergansers paddle toward
morning trout swirl

em dash
at dusk a wild goose
heading east

question mark
the length of silence
after a loon’s call

period
one blue egg all summer long
now gone

--------

I stayed up way too late on Sunday night watching the Game of Thrones rebroadcast after reading a lot of internet hysteria about the episode so I am kind of sleepy, but I slept better understanding what people were so mad about. (Having only watched the first season up until Sean Bean's last episode, I was always rooting for them to throw the Iron Throne into the sea and form an automonous collective, and I am wondering whether that's kind of the point of the show, though I reserve the right to a feminist rant if what I think is going to happen does happen next week.)

Anyway, it was a slow day, since my cats were cold this morning and three of them did not want to let me get out of bed, so I ran behind on article stuff and the laundry isn't even folded. But I had a nice evening, since I had plans with Angela and Carrie for dinner. We met at Chuy's, and I went to the shopping center a bit early because I had a World Market coupon, but I ended up not getting anything besides a bunch of Pokemon. Chuy's has a nacho bar at happy hour, which is a very dangerous thing! And I had cheese enchiladas, which were very good.

I got home just in time for Legends of Tomorrow, which is always fun, then we caught up on last night's A Discovery of Witches, which was more violent onscreen than I thought was necessary, particularly since they felt compelled to bleep the one instance of the F word in the episode. After that, we watched most of The Enemy Within, which no one is sure whether it's ending next week or getting picked up for another season. If they have a finale that explains why Erica does what she does, I'm fine either way. From Brookside Gardens, so many geese!

DSCN7481

DSCN7468

DSCN7495

DSCN7496

DSCN7484

DSCN7467

DSCN7478

DSCN7511

No comments: