Friday, August 22, 2003

Poem for Friday and <a href


The Embrace
By Mark Doty


You weren't well or really ill yet either;
just a little tired, your handsomeness
tinged by grief or anticipation, which brought
to your face a thoughtful, deepening grace.

I didn't for a moment doubt you were dead.
I knew that to be true still, even in the dream.
You'd been out--at work maybe?--
having a good day, almost energetic.

We seemed to be moving from some old house
where we'd lived, boxes everywhere, things
in disarray: that was the story of my dream,
but even asleep I was shocked out of the narrative

by your face, the physical fact of your face:
inches from mine, smooth-shaven, loving, alert.
Why so difficult, remembering the actual look
of you? Without a photograph, without strain?

So when I saw your unguarded, reliable face,
your unmistakable gaze opening all the warmth
and clarity of you--warm brown tea--we held
each other for the time the dream allowed.

Bless you. You came back, so I could see you
once more, plainly, so I could rest against you
without thinking this happiness lessened anything,
without thinking you were alive again.

--------


, that's for you. Friday Five:

1. When was the last time you laughed?

About five minutes ago, reading 's "Human".

2. Who was the last person you had an argument with?
My son, who refused to stay in bed last night.

3. Who was the last person you emailed?
My husband, with the Variety headline about the December Rings-a-thon.

4. When was the last time you bathed?
Bathed as opposed to showered? I'm not sure but it's been a few weeks. I showered yesterday, late morning.

5. What was the last thing you ate?
A handful of Honey Nut Cheerios.

youknowboromir
Go you! You really know what Boromir is made of.
LOTR - How Much Do You Know About Boromir? (Could Be Hard)
brought to you by Quizilla


Because how could I not post that? Meanwhile the son who would not go to bed last night is now refusing to wake up this morning. Must have him on school schedule by Tuesday -- oh dear. Also must drag him shopping for school supplies presently, as my father is taking them to the pool this afternoon so I can get work done.

On Tuesday morning, after taking them to school and running to Best Buy, I am sitting down and watching all the extras on the DVD because they will want to watch The Two Towers as soon as they get home.

No comments: