Friday, May 31, 2013

Poem for Friday and Virginia Renfaire

Domestic
By Deborah Landau

At night, down the hall into the bedroom we go.
In the morning we enter the kitchen.
Places, please. On like this,

without alarm. I am the talker and taker
he is the giver and the bedroom man.
We are out of order but not broken.

He says, let's make this one short.
She says, what do you mean?
We set out and got nearer.

Along the way some loved ones died.
Whole summers ruined that way.
Take me to the door, take me in your arms.

Mother's been dead a decade
but her voice comes back to me now and often.
Life accumulates, a series of commas,

first this, then that, then him, then here.
A clump of matter (paragraph)
and here we are: minutes, years.

Wait, I am trying to establish
something with these people.
Him, her, him. We make a little pantomime.

Family, I say, wake up. The sentences
one then another one, in a line. And then
we go on like that, for a long time.

--------

It is HOT. That fact was the big distraction of my day. I pretty much did not leave the house except to walk outside to decide whether I wanted to walk or just stretch indoors (indoors won). So other than work and reading I did nothing worth reporting, apart from getting an invitation from a neighbor to watch Arrested Development, woohoo! Have only seen the first two episodes but really enjoyed them; I'm not sure what the disappointed people are disappointed about, apart from Never Enough Tobias.

Paul was showing Daniel how to make chicken parmesan so he'll be able to make it next year when he's in an apartment instead of a dorm and has to cook his own dinners (he has been warned that he can't order pizza every night). Adam came and made the veggie version, so dinner was good. Then we watched the second episode of Spies of Warsaw, which is well-acted but I'm not finding the script all that engaging. Some photos of animals from the Virginia Renfaire (warning: includes Brood II cicadas):
















No comments: