Thursday, May 30, 2013

Poem for Thursday and Gettysburg Battlefield

Oh What a Lantern
By Mary Sidney Herbert

Oh, what a lantern, what a lamp of light
Is thy pure word to me
To clear my paths and guide my goings right!
I swore and swear again,
I of the statutes will observer be,
Thou justly dost ordain.

The heavy weights of grief oppress me sore:
Lord, raise me by the word,
As thou to me didst promise heretofore.
And this unforced praise
I for an off'ring bring, accept, O Lord,
And show to me thy ways.

What if my life lie naked in my hand,
To every chance exposed!
Should I forget what thou dost me command?
No, no, I will not stray
From thy edicts though round about enclosed
With snares the wicked lay.

Thy testimonies as mine heritage,
I have retained still:
And unto them my heart's delight engage,
My heart which still doth bend,
And only bend to do what thou dost will,
And do it to the end.

--------

The storms late Tuesday night brought down a large tree limb on our parking lot, and now we are having a heat wave, which does not bode well for the rest of the summer -- it isn't supposed to be this miserably hot in the DC area until the end of July at least. Perhaps this is why it appeared to be Drive Like An A$$hole day when I went out with Daniel to get bagels; I swear that everyone on Rockville Pike decided to have a competition to see who could be the most dangerously aggressive or just plain clueless driver. If the miserable summer weather here has anything to do with Michele Bachmann's decision to leave Washington, though, I'll put up with it.

It was not an eventful late afternoon. I put together a pair of earrings with Green Man charms, watched some old Arrested Development while folding laundry (sadly I have no Netflix, so I have no new Arrested Development), had dinner with the family. Adam was finishing homework; the rest of us watched Casanova, the 2005 version with Heath Ledger, which we hadn't watched in several years and I don't think older son had ever seen. It's beautifully filmed and has a lot of awesome women (Helen McCrory, Sienna Miller, Natalie Dormer, Lena Olin) plus Jeremy Irons chewing scenery even more than he does in The Borgias. Some Gettysburg photos from the weekend:
















No comments: