Wednesday, September 06, 2017

Poem for Wednesday, Will, Morro Bay

Ovid Elegy II:18
By Christopher Marlowe

Ad Macrum, quod de amoribus scribat

To tragic verse while thou Achilles train'st,
And new-sworn soldiers' maiden arms retain'st,
We, Macer, sit in Venus' slothful shade,
And tender love hath great things hateful made.
Often at length, my wench depart I bid,
She in my lap sits still as erst she did.
I said, " It irks me"; half to weeping framed,
" Aye me," she cries, " to love why art ashamed?"
Then wreathes about my neck her winding arms,
And thousand kisses gives, that work my harms.
I yield, and back my wit from battles bring,
Domestic acts, and mine own wars to sing.
Yet tragedies and sceptres filled my lines,
But though I apt were for such high designs,
Love laughed at my cloak, and buskins painted,
And rule so soon with private hands acquainted.
My mistress' deity also drew me fro it,
And Love triumpheth o'er his buskined poet.
What lawful is, or we profess love's art,
(Alas, my precepts turn myself to smart!)
We write, or what Penelope sends Ulysses,
Or Phyllis' tears that her Demophoon misses,
What thankless Jason, Macareus, and Paris,
Phaedra, and Hippolyte may read, my care is,
And what poor Dido with her drawn sword sharp
Doth say, with her that loved the Aonian harp.
As soon as from strange lands Sabinus came,
And writings did from divers places frame,
White-cheeked Penelope knew Ulysses' sign,
The stepdame read Hippolytus' lustless line,
Aeneas to Elisa answer gives,
And Phyllis hath to read, if now she lives.
Jason's sad letter doth Hypsipyle greet,
Sappho her vowed harp lays at Phoebus' feet.
Nor of thee, Macer, that resound'st forth arms,
Is golden love hid in Mars' mid-alarms:
There Paris is, and Helen's crime's record,
With Laodamia, mate to her dead lord.
Unless I err, to these thou more incline
Than wars, and from thy tents wilt come to mine.

--------

I was indoors doing laundry and work during the part of Tuesday that was a really nice day, then I went out in the afternoon when it was starting to cloud up (the highlight of which was catching a wild Snorlax at Cabin John Park) and got home shortly before two hours of pouring rain, thunder, lightning, and wind.

We had veggie turkey cutlets for dinner and watched the last two episodes of Will, which just gets crackier as it goes; I kept watching for Jamie Campbell Bower's Marlowe, who seems to have wandered into A Knight's Tale from Velvet Goldmine. Some more photos from Morro Bay, California last month:

17moro19

17moro17

17moro20

17moro21

17moro15

17moro14

17moro18

17moro22

17moro16

No comments: