Friday, March 14, 2025

Poem for Friday and Garden Flowers

From "Yellow Light" 
By Garret Hongo 

If it were May, hydrangeas and jacaranda
flowers in the streetside trees would be
blooming through the smog of late spring.
Wisteria in Masuda’s front yard would be
shaking out the long tresses of its purple hair.
Maybe mosquitoes, moths, or a few orange butterflies
settling on the lattice of monkey flowers
tangled in chain-link fences by the trash.

But this is October, and Los Angeles
seethes like a billboard under twilight.
From used-car lots and the movie houses uptown,
a brilliant fluorescence breaks out
and makes war with the dim squares
of yellow kitchen light winking on
in all the side streets of the Barrio.

-------- 

Friday was chilly, and while I was avoiding current news on Facebook by glancing at my On This Day page, I discovered that I never uploaded my 2016 California trip pictures (my cousin's Bar Mitzvah and brother-in-law's wedding, plus Hollywood and natural wonders). I also forgot that dealing with photos on Facebook ends up being an all-day project because you can only load a certain number at a time and the dates get reset on each, so that took me till afternoon when we walked to the beach to hang out with the eagles. 

We are now caught up on the third season Wheel of Time episodes Amazon has already dropped, which I enjoyed though I'll never be as invested in that show as I am in, say, Rings of Power; I appreciate that all the power players are women but I'm fairly bored with the men's storylines and it's still too violent for me. We also caught up on Maryland basketball (go Terps!), House (go Hetty!) and the season finale of Animal Control (go penguin!). Some more early flowers from the Bellevue Botanical Garden last weekend:

2025-03-09 13.21.47

2025-03-09 13.17.23

2025-03-09 13.27.47

2025-03-09 13.04.47

2025-03-09 13.02.27

2025-03-09 13.03.01

2025-03-09 13.05.45

No comments: