Sunday, May 11, 2003

Poem for Mother's Day


My Mother Enters the Work Force
By Rita Dove


The path to ABC Business School
was paid for by a lucky sign:
Alterations, Qualified Seamstress Inquire Within.
Tested on Sleeves, hers
never puckered -- puffed or sleek,
Leg o' or Raglan --
they barely needed the damp cloth
to steam them perfect.

Those were the afternoons. Evenings
she took in piecework, the treadle machine
with its locomotive whir
traveling the lit path of the needle
through quicksand taffeta
or velvet deep as a forest.
And now and now sang the treadle,
I know, I know....

And then it was day again, all morning
at the office machines, their clack and chatter
another journey -- rougher,
that would go on forever
until she could break a hundred words
with no errors -- ah, and then

no more postponed groceries,
and that blue pair of shoes!

--------


Happy Mother's Day to all other mothers out there! And to all children, spouses and grandparents who are celebrating today. I will be with my parents and kids in Baltimore at the Jewish Museum and the National Aquarium...and then out for seafood. Yay!

Frank Rich in The New York Times on The Jerry Bruckheimer White House.

And I really truly thought I would get Logan, so imagine my surprise when I, who was never even hot for Jean-Luc (not because of age or baldness but because of, well, Picardness), discovered that:

xavier
o_O Another fancier of the old. Good for you I
guess. Charles is seen as a fatherly-type of
person, and is one you can open up to. He is
known to be amiable and very dependable. His
genius is only surpassed by his love and
understanding of other people. He makes for a
great companion with much affection, plus, the
baldness *is* kinda sexy.

Who Is Your Ideal X-Men 2 Mate?
brought to you by Quizilla

No comments: