Thursday, May 03, 2018

Poem for Thursday, Infinity War, Lewis Ginter Orchids

The Challenge of Thor
By Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

I am the God Thor,
I am the War God,
I am the Thunderer!
Here in my Northland,
My fastness and fortress,
Reign I forever!

Here amid icebergs
Rule I the nations;
This is my hammer,
Miolner the mighty;
Giants and sorcerers
Cannot withstand it!

These are the gauntlets
Wherewith I wield it,
And hurl it afar off;
This is my girdle;
Whenever I brace it,
Strength is redoubled!

The light thou beholdest
Stream through the heavens,
In flashes of crimson,
Is but my red beard
Blown by the night-wind,
Affrighting the nations!

Jove is my brother;
Mine eyes are the lightning;
The wheels of my chariot
Roll in the thunder,
The blows of my hammer
Ring in the earthquake!

Force rules the world still,
Has ruled it, shall rule it;
Meekness is weakness,
Strength is triumphant,
Over the whole earth
Still is it Thor’s Day!

Thou art a God too,
O Galilean!
And thus single-handed
Unto the combat,
Gauntlet or Gospel,
Here I defy thee!

--------

My neighbor Rose was lamenting to me earlier in the week that she hadn't yet seen Infinity War and her boyfriend wasn't interested in Marvel movies, so of course I did the selfless thing and offered to go with her as soon as possible. Heh. She wanted to see it in 3D, which I had not done yet -- I'm ambivalent about 3D, there are usually only a couple of scenes that it improves and I sometimes get headaches from the glasses, but the ending was great in 3D -- and Maddy got us passes, which was awesome. My previous points of irritation with the film remain, yet I'm still never bored and I just really love these characters.

After the movie, Rose came over to visit the cats and watch the Avengers press tour videos with me (Corden's Star Star Tour bus and Fallon's Marvel Bunch singalong are worth watching more than once). Then we had dinner, Maddy went out with friends, I went out to get gas since I realized on the way home from the movie that my tank was nearly empty, and Paul and I watched a couple of episodes of Billions since we're very behind this season. Here are some photos from Richmond's Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden last year since I never got around to sorting the orchids last winter when they were taken:

17lgtm20

17lgtm18

17lgtm22

17lgtm27

17lgtm17

17lgtm15

17lgtm23

17lgtm21

No comments: