Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Poem for Wednesday


Bearhug
By Michael Ondaatje


Griffin calls to come and kiss him goodnight
I yell ok. Finish something I'm doing,
then something else, walk slowly round
the corner to my son's room.
He is standing arms outstretched
waiting for a bearhug. Grinning.

Why do I give my emotion an animal's name,
give it that dark squeeze of death?
This is the hug which collects
all his small bones and his warm neck against me.
The thin tough body under the pyjamas
locks to me like a magnet of blood.

How long was he standing there
like that, before I came?

--------


I spent a quiet Tuesday with forcing her to squee over Alan Rickman since she had forgotten her David Hewlett Fannish Recruitment Equipment, though she did have a couple of SGA songvids to show me (I like David a lot, particularly since I've been reading his Twitter updates, but I have to admit -- and I know this is the most unpopular fannish position in the world -- that Rodney just doesn't appeal to me, that is to say, I enjoy his character in the episodes well enough but I have no desire at all to become fannish over him).

Because there was no opportunity to watch David movies, though, I subjected to The Search For John Gissing -- which incidentally is finally available on DVD here, and if you've ever had the urge to watch Alan mark his territory this is an absolute must-see. Later, retrieved my kids from my in-laws' at the Middle Eastern restaurant in Damascus where we often meet them because it's closer to Hanover than our house. Anyway, half my flist won't see this post because of watching the aforementioned Alan Rickman at midnight HP movie screenings, and the other half won't care about John Gissing, so I will keep this short and adorable:


Am ursine in a flowery dress has a very proper outdoor tea at Boyd's Bear Country.


The cats have been corralled by three blind mice but they're still quite pleasant.


The premises were still decorated for the Fourth of July. You can see some of the crafts producers on the level below.


Hershey's Chocolate World has singing cows. Like "It's a Small World" only with udders.


Ostensibly this is because cows make milk and there is milk in chocolate, but if cows really sing cheesy songs while making milk, I don't think I want to know.


Hershey is also very informative about how the beans are dried...


...and how the chocolate is made into chocolate paste. This room is artificially scented like chocolate, too, so when you get out of the free ride, you rush directly to the massive Chocolate World store and buy lots.


These are allegedly what the train cars that take the chocolate out into the world look like.


Gacked from lots of people, and because it's the theme for the night and Lucius Malfoy is the hottest thing ever, I'm posting it without a cut. Seeing the movie with my whole family Wednesday; report after, not reading LJ before!

My Harry Potter Spoiler of Doom is:
Lucius Malfoy becomes a billionaire in the software market by using the Pensieve
Get your Harry Potter Spoiler of Doom

No comments: