Saturday, November 17, 2007

Poem for Saturday


Remembering
By Stephen J. Lyons


Come here, closer, and fold
into the dent of my chest,
the crook of my shoulder.
In the open window the
candle betrays the wind's
summer breath and the
night settles down around us.

Don't move, not now,
let's be still, hold this moment
before we open our bodies,
and tell me, one more time,
how you came to find me.

--------


Friday was another day spent with lots of cleaning and very little to show for it. I did manage to move an entire shelf of Starlog magazines down to the basement and move an entire shelf and a half of art books upstairs -- they'll be better protected if we have any more floods or anything, though their spines will be exposed to more sunlight and I'm hoping they won't fade. Had spontaneous lunch with at Minerva, which was yummy, and she played Jonathan Coulton for me and now I'm feeling Tom Cruise Crazy, heh.

Wrote a mediocre review of "Unnatural Selection" -- it is much easier to write a review of an episode that is truly inspired or truly awful than one that's just sort of meh, but then, I suppose it is also easier to write an episode that is truly inspired or truly awful than one that's just sort of meh. Had dinner with my parents, sounds like my sister and her kids are arriving on Wednesday, details to follow. Watched SGA, which I enjoyed very much, being the only person I know who likes Samantha Carter better than Rodney McKay.

Is Rachel pregnant...is that why Teyla is? And if the strike goes on, does that mean that she may have given birth months before Teyla does, or has this show already filmed its season finale? I get so confused about its schedule and I'm completely out of it with all the gossip other people seem to know about Joe and David even though I read David's twitters just because he cracks me up. I really expected the old guy to be somehow working with the Wraith or keying them into his near-Ascended brain waves or something, which probably just shows my ignorance, but I was so happy to see Bob Picardo on TV again that I didn't much care what happened, since Sam was cool.



The Kalmar Nyckel with Sultana at the Downrigging Weekend in Chestertown.


Crewmembers tying up one of the sails.


The Great Cabin, where the captain sleeps...


...and one of the carvings (son called this the sheep man).


The ship's bell, with a sort of Green Man dog sticking out its tongue...can anyone explain that to me?


The "monkey bird," as this carving is called.


And Sultana seen out the bow end of the ship.


: Falling out of a world of lies
1. What's the last thing you threw away?
A big stack of Hamilton Collection mailings and Star Trek Communicator advertising inserts. Starship plates, anyone?
2. Have you ever been to Paris? Sadly, no. Would anyone like to send me? I promise I'll take lots of photos and write up a full report.
3. What do you stare at? The little shiny sparkles at the edges of my vision that I didn't know till a couple of years ago were a migraine aura. Also the glitter lamp, which reminds me of the aura.
4. What do you hurry for? Anything I'm looking forward to. Also whenever I'm running late, which is often.
5. Friday fill-in: I could have been ___. I could have been a lawyer, if only I had gone to law school. (How many people are going to write "...a contender"?)

: Food
1. What is one food (or meal) you used to hate but now love?
I can't think of anything I used to hate that I love now. There are things I was afraid to try, like saag paneer, but nothing I actively disliked that I learned to love.
2. If you had to give up one of your favorite foods (or meals) for good, what would it be, and why? I'm trying to think what the very most fattening of my favorite foods is. Eggs Benedict? Crab Imperial?
3. Which food seems like it should be healthy and isn't, and do you eat it? Why? Macademia nuts. They have a high amount of fat and I eat them anyway if they're around, but I never buy them, so it's only if someone else offers them to me.
4. If you were an item of food, personified, what would you be and why? Some very gooey melty warm chocolate thing with crunchy bits.
5. You've seen tomatoes and pies used for this purpose... now think of a more inventive item of food one could throw at someone. What is it and why would throwing it at someone be hilarious? A peach. When I was growing up during Watergate and I saw the "Impeach Nixon" signs, I thought it meant that people should throw peaches at his motorcade the way I knew people had thrown tomatoes and eggs at Franco.

No comments: