Thursday, September 18, 2008

Poem for Thursday

The Lake Isle of Innisfree
By W.B. Yeats


I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree,
And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made:
Nine bean rows will I have there, a hive for the honey-bee,
And live alone in the bee-loud glade.

And I shall have some peace there, for peace comes dropping slow,
Dropping from the veils of the morning to where the cricket sings;
There midnight's all a glimmer, and noon a purple glow,
And evening full of the linnet's wings.

I will arise and go now, for always night and day
I hear lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore;
While I stand on the roadway, or on the pavements grey,
I hear it in the deep heart's core.

--------

Perkypaduan and I decided that we needed to indulge ourselves in Halloween merchandise -- looking, not buying -- so we went and got ourselves some tom ka gai and then went to Target, which has everything from holographic Halloween Kleenex boxes to plastic skulls to hang over your front door that drop down and have flashing red lights and go "MWAAAA-HA-HA-HAAAA!" We are a bit confused why Target's Halloween logo incorporates Fark.com's kitten killers, but it makes us giggle like we are twelve, which is just as well since we also ooh and ahh over pink plastic light-up bats and $1 black cat playing cards. Perky went on to look at Old Navy's Halloween stuff, too, but I had to get home and pick up the kids to take for their semiannual dentist appointment.

















After the dentist, I took younger son and his best friend to tennis, which put us in the mood to watch Wimbledon, so after dinner -- Paul made homemade pizza during the tennis lesson -- we watched that. I generally don't like romantic comedies but I like pretty much every actor in this one (Paul Bettany, Kirsten Dunst, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, James McAvoy, Eleanor Bron, Bernard Hill, Sam Neill, Jon Favreau, Robert Lindsay...plus Chris Evert and John McEnroe). The tennis class has only five kids in it and only two boys, son and his friend, so hopefully they will get a lot of attention and son won't get irritated like he has done with soccer and basketball around competitive boys.

I was going to talk about politics and national financial crises and stuff, but I have a bit of a headache and think I am going to enjoy the nice cool evening weather instead!

Oh yes, and it's Talk Like a Pirate Day! Arrrr!

No comments: