Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Poem for Wednesday

My Song
By Rabindranath Tagore


This song of mine will wind its music around you,
my child, like the fond arms of love.

The song of mine will touch your forehead
like a kiss of blessing.

When you are alone it will sit by your side and
whisper in your ear, when you are in the crowd
it will fence you about with aloofness.

My song will be like a pair of wings to your dreams,
it will transport your heart to the verge of the unknown.

It will be like the faithful star overhead
when dark night is over your road.

My song will sit in the pupils of your eyes,
and will carry your sight into the heart of things.

And when my voice is silenced in death,
my song will speak in your living heart.

--------

I don't have a lot to report from my Tuesday except that I have a new cousin, Brady Max, the son of my cousin Allison and her husband Justin, whom we saw last summer when we stayed at my Uncle Mickey's! It was a chilly, blustery morning with rain and winds so high that the power flickered and knocked out my internet several times. I took a walk to watch the leaves falling, in part out of fear that they'd get blown away too quickly -- I can't believe Halloween is three days away and the season will soon be over -- but there's still plenty of red and yellow out there, which hopefully will stick around till the weekend. Since my kids have no school on Monday for end-of-quarter teachers' meetings or Tuesday for Election Day, we have plans to go sightsee if the weather cooperates. Today Adam had Hebrew school and Daniel stayed late to work on a group project, so I had a quiet afternoon trying to type with a cat in my lap.


This is the one photo I got of the inside of National Cathedral, when we first arrived -- no photos are allowed during the services.


The cathedral is a beautiful Gothic building, but so clean that it's obviously not very old; clearly none of the rooms or corridors were ever lit by oil or candles.


A glimpse of the tower from the seventh floor windows.


The south entrance reminds me of the main entrance to Westminster Abbey.


Several beautiful rose windows adorn the building, like the Creation Rose Window over the entrance.


Unfortunately, this was the best photo I managed inside, without tripod or time to set up properly.


Here's the beautiful South Rose Window "The Church Triumphant."


And here's a view of one of the spires, so you can see that there are traditional angels and floral decorations as well as the modern gargoyles and grotesques.


Watched episodes three and four of Merlin with the family because all of us like it, though different aspects appeal to each of us...and how did I not realize that the new Bionic Woman was in it? For all the flaws of that show, I rather liked her. Also, I utterly adore Merlin, Arthur, and Uther (particularly the latter...poor Anthony Stewart Head). Then watched this week's Sarah Jane Adventures, not my favorite two-parter because the science is really, really ridiculous even by ridiculous science fiction standards, but I love that Clyde has a bigger role this season and I liked Luke's characterization in this arc.

Spoilers: My whole family likes SJA too, and while I sometimes think it's deliberately skewing a little young (what are they thinking, casting someone who looks like Rani but then writing her rather sweet and innocent), but I really enjoyed the "you don't need to be the center of the universe" theme of this one as well as the Mars candy joke. Plus I liked Sarah Jane saying that Luke IS the center of her universe -- better him than the Doctor, I can deal with maternal devotion so much better than Rose's style of romantic obsession -- and being different saving the world, when Luke is almost as much a metaphor for growing up gay as first-season Smallville's Clark Kent...all right, well, we already know I am eleven because I laugh at SNL bathroom jokes!

No comments: