Friday, November 07, 2008

Poem for Friday

Prayers
By Rae Armantrout


1.

We pray
and the resurrection happens.

Here are the young
again,

sniping and giggling,

tingly
as ringing phones.

2.

All we ask
is that our thinking

sustain momentum,
identify targets.

The pressure
in my lower back
rising to be recognized
as pain.

The blue triangles
on the rug
repeating.

Coming up,
a discussion
on the uses
of torture.

The fear
that all this
will end.

The fear
that it won't.

--------

From this week's New Yorker.

I had an awesome afternoon with ! We went and got California Tortilla to bring back to my house, and then we watched Futurama -- "Bendin' in the Wind" (the hippies-and-folk-music episode with Cylon and Garfunkel), "Roswell That Ends Well" (the I'm My Own Grandpa episode), "Godfellas" (in which Bender fails as a God), "Parasites Lost" (the Fantastic Voyage/Innerspace episode), "Amazon Women In the Mood" (in which Fry is sentenced to death by snu-snu), and "The Birdbot of Icecatraz" (which I had to watch again as soon as younger son got home, because it's about penguins on Pluto!). Below, pictures of Gathland State Park -- the first five are the ruins of the barn, then the ruins of the library and the buildings now used as the Civil War museum.

















My evening has been utterly sucky because our dryer broke during the early stages of a large load of clothes, while there was another load already wet in the washing machine, so I hung up load number two to dry all over the house while Paul took load number one to my parents to put in their dryer. No repair till Monday at the earliest. Waah. Before that we all watched Smallville, which I loved because in addition to Kara returning, Lois, Chloe and Tess all had big roles, and we got to see them doing things we don't usually see them doing...plus we got Clark and Oliver angsting together, awww. I really enjoyed Lois's fury at having been abducted by aliens, but I liked getting to see her possessed and obsessive over Davis, whose face when Lois said she was his mother was priceless. I'm still nervous about Superbeing Chloe but I like her ordering Oliver around! Though I was a bit sad that Oliver only wanted to talk about Chloe while Clark was all "If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't be here right now." Lex who, Tess? And we watched Next Gen's "Brothers," which I need to review tomorrow and which is still terrific.

No comments: