Saturday, November 05, 2011

Poem for Saturday and Homestead Squash

Work Without Hope
By Samuel Taylor Coleridge

All Nature seems at work. Slugs leave their lair--
The bees are stirring--birds are on the wing--
And Winter, slumbering in the open air,
Wears on his smiling face a dream of Spring!
And I, the while, the sole unbusy thing,
Nor honey make, nor pair, nor build, nor sing.

Yet well I ken the banks where amaranths blow,
Have traced the fount whence streams of nectar flow.
Bloom, O ye amaranths! bloom for whom ye may,
For me ye bloom not! Glide, rich streams, away!
With lips unbrighten'd, wreathless brow, I stroll:
And would you learn the spells that drowse my soul?
Work without Hope draws nectar in a sieve,
And Hope without an object cannot live.

--------

I have both my kids home for a brief time so I will keep this brief. Daniel, who has had a stomach bug all week, told me this morning that he wanted to come home for the weekend (laundry and all, heh), so I finished my review of "Babel" early in the day. Adam brought his girlfriend home after school and took her to walk the dogs with him before having me drive them to her house, where they had dinner and watched a movie.

Meanwhile Paul picked up Daniel in College Park after work, and the three of us had dinner with my parents. Then we came home for Nikita, which was awesome -- Nikita, Alex, Amanda, and Senator Alberta Watson all having a great episode -- and Sanctuary, which is losing me increasingly as it attempts to turn itself into Heroes. Here are some pre-Halloween photos of pre-picked pumpkins at Homestead Farm and the school groups picking them:

















Have a lovely bonfire night if you celebrate it!

No comments: