Sunday, November 24, 2013

Poem for Sunday, Day of the Doctor, Glass Birds

Ample make this bed
By Emily Dickinson

Ample make this bed.
Make this bed with awe;
In it wait till judgment break
Excellent and fair.

Be its mattress straight,
Be its pillow round;
Let no sunrise' yellow noise
Interrupt this ground.

--------

Adam was out nearly all day at the Battle of the Potomac cross country race (Maryland vs Virginia vs West Virginia vs DC) -- he couldn't run, but he went to cheer on his friends and eat lunch with them, then he came home exhausted and went to bed before 9. I spent pretty much all day working on our annual photo calendar, which had to be completed and ordered before my two Shutterfly coupons/discounts expired, with a long break in the afternoon for The Day of the Doctor and the pre-show and post-airing chatter plus a few minutes of the miserable Maryland game. Everything that follows is spoilers!

.

.

.

My favorite bit of the preshow was William Shatner (Nichelle Nichols, too) saying happy 50th to Doctor Who -- did Doctor Who wish Star Trek a happy 40th? And I mostly really enjoyed the episode, though I have to admit that I actually found An Adventure in Time and Space more moving. I am always happy to see any incarnation of Elizabeth I, even one who'd put a man ahead of her kingdom which I don't believe for a minute -- I was so hoping Ten was right that that alone meant she had to be a duplicate -- and I love the idea of a secret National Gallery!

And there were many moments that made me howl aloud, including the "it's just a harmless little bunny" bit, "Are you his Companions? They get younger all the time," Ten blaming Eleven for his timey-wimey line, and Captain Jack Harkness bequeathing tech on the occasion of one of this deaths ("Think of it. Americans with the ability to rewrite history? You've seen their movies" -- though I really think that if the Gallifreyans had seen Wargames and the Terminator movies, they'd have done much better as a species). I was nervous about Rose Tyler coming back and delighted that it was Rose-TARDIS instead!

But there was enough gender trouble to niggle at me -- not just Elizabeth I but the nerd archivist in the familiar scarf who wishes she was as pretty as her sister and Eight-and-a-Half's eyerolling about future Doctor smooching sessions, and I knew when it started to turn into Galaxy Quest ("never give up, never give in") that we were in for the new inevitable sci-fi cliche in which everything that matters eventually comes back from the dead, even entire planets. It meant something when Nine said "Everybody lives!" because that was the exception, then; now, everything that made Nine himself no longer happened, and he'll never even know it.

Okay, I forgave a lot for Tom Baker, and I loved all the Tennant and Smith joint interviews and commentaries; we ended the evening watching Graham Norton, where I snickered when Smith pointed out that his sonic screwdriver is bigger than Tennant's but my favorite moment was the fan who needed Tennant's autograph on his arm for a tattoo who announced that he was married to the woman in the Dalek dress who had preceded him in the red chair. I did work in a walk in the chilly evening air and we all had dinner together, but that's about all the news from here! Here is one more Art of Fire pic:


No comments: