Sunday, July 27, 2014

Poem for Sunday and Rescue Animals

A Tyrant Seeks Conclusion in the Known Self
By Emily Kendal Frey

In California we went to the dive bar and I lost my wallet
I remember falling into it
And maybe kissing against someone's garage
I fell on city sidewalks
In California and other places
The trees looked at me tenderly
I'm guessing
You do not love me because your mom did not love you
I understand the equation
Meanwhile, I make a butter fire in the kitchen
Two times I heat the butter for the eggs
Both times I burn it
Just observe, I tell
My students, describe what is
The woman next to me on the airplane
Moves pictures from her wallet to her pocket
In case we die
I cry with my eyes closed and the Sprite goes by
The unconscious drives us to master
The childhood situation
I wonder if there are spiders
Here, in the carpet or between the seats
A place with bugs is so
Much more friendly
The book I am reading tells me
Ours is an earthbound crisis
That until we cease to dominate
With doing, we will fail
At being
My fingernails
Are the color of rotten peaches
On Orcas Island there's a stone tower on top of Mt. Constitution
Some days you can see for miles, the many
Mountain ranges and pine-crusted bodies
In my mind
I practice dying
I throw myself over the edge
The plane is making its way into the streaking
Sun of this country
In Mexico I slept in a clay structure facing the ocean
I could hear the wind constantly
I bought you a tin heart with a hole in it
I brought it back in my backpack
In bed you said Don't make fun of me
When I'm old, okay?
When I think of your face
I have to think of me
You are holding my knee
And now I look into you
Now I look up and face
The abject fear
I am an animal
The bedroom is trees
Go limp a voice tells me
When a person passes me on their way to the restroom
I pretend they are the kindly face
Of god
Look deep into the eyes
Of the divine
It's so beautiful isn't it
To believe you are looking
At the future

--------

Another quickie as we had a busy Saturday! In the morning Daniel went to renew his learner's permit, but due to a variety of crises at the MVA and literally a two-hour wait time, that has been postponed. By the time he was back here after noon, after having left at around 9 a.m., we ate lunch and went on a small corner of the Montgomery County Farm Tour taking place this weekend, visiting two rescue farms, Poplar Spring Animal Sanctuary and Star Gazing Farm.

The latter had just closed by the time we got there -- you can see a few of their animals in the last photo below -- but we saw many animals at the former, including sheep, goats, cows, chickens, turkeys, peafowl, guineafowl, pigs, geese, and ducklings! Then we came home for vegetarian chili, Epic Mealtime (the VERY OPPOSITE of rescue farm values), and a visit from a friend of Adam's, and now we are watching the Andrew Garfield SNL rerun!














No comments: