Friday, August 15, 2014

Poem for Friday, Good Morning Vietnam, Fair Fun

Had I a Man's Fair Form
By John Keats

Had I a man’s fair form, then might my sighs
  Be echoed swiftly through that ivory shell
  Thine ear, and find thy gentle heart; so well
Would passion arm me for the enterprize:
But ah! I am no knight whose foeman dies;
  No cuirass glistens on my bosom’s swell;
  I am no happy shepherd of the dell
Whose lips have trembled with a maiden’s eyes.
Yet must I doat upon thee,—call thee sweet,
  Sweeter by far than Hybla’s honied roses
    When steep’d in dew rich to intoxication.
Ah! I will taste that dew, for me ’tis meet,
  And when the moon her pallid face discloses,
    I’ll gather some by spells, and incantation.

--------

I had a very busy Thursday that involved visiting two Home Depots, one post office, one doctor, and one car service place, plus laundry and other exciting chores. Our van's emergency brake light had been coming on at weird times and it turned out that the brake fluid had drained, plus we have to have the bearings on one of the wheels replaced, which we want to get done before traveling anywhere but eesh there's a few hundred bucks we did not want to be spending. The Home Depots were for stain for the deck which son power-washed.

Adam got his stitches out, then went to play tennis with friends, so he must be feeling okay. We all spent the evening watching Good Morning Vietnam, which Adam had not seen at all and I hadn't seen in close to two decades since we only had it on tattered VHS -- tough to watch the suicide joke just a few minutes into the movie, and always tough to watch the war scenes. Williams' improv is brilliant and the rest of the cast, including a couple of others we lost too young, is wonderful. Here are a few more photos from the county fair on Wednesday:


Watching pig racing!


Adam riding the Fireball!


Chicks hatching!


Mom and calf, half an hour after the birth!


Adam and friend getting tossed around in the air!


Quidditch World Cup on the Midway (with HP wands as prizes)!


A duckling!


Me and cows!

No comments: