Thursday, February 25, 2016

Poem for Thursday, The Dressmaker, Downton Abbey Costumes

The Red Dress
By Dorothy Parker

I always saw, I always said
If I were grown and free,
I'd have a gown of reddest red
As fine as you could see,

To wear out walking, sleek and slow,
Upon a Summer day,
And there'd be one to see me so
And flip the world away.

And he would be a gallant one,
With stars behind his eyes,
And hair like metal in the sun,
And lips too warm for lies.

I always saw us, gay and good,
High honored in the town.
Now I am grown to womanhood....
I have the silly gown.

--------

My Wednesday was planned around thunderstorms, tornadoes, and floods, all of which were in the forecast (and all of which arrived in the area, though thankfully the latter two didn't affect us in my neighborhood). Rather than risking having to drive in any of the above, I stuck around the house and worked and caught up on Limitless, whose pop culture reference this week was historic film directors. Though it rained pretty much all day, I took a walk in the drizzle before the worst of the storm arrived. There was steam rising off what was left of the snow, and bunnies getting in some last minute munching before the thunder and the reports of floods.

After dinner we watched The Dressmaker, which was pitched to me as a revenge comedy with Kate Winslet, Hugo Weaving, and Liam Hemsworth. This movie is about as much a comedy as Joy (which is to say, it's a comedy only if stories of cruelty strike you as funny), but it's very well acted and I'm always impressed at how Australian movies are so much more interested in the private lives of women, their interests and their sexuality  without judgment, than Hollywood movies. I still have a bunch of pics from Richmond last weekend but since Downton Abbey is about to end here, some pics from a previous trip to the Richmond Historical Society:
















No comments: