Tuesday, March 01, 2016

Poem for Tuesday, Eddie the Eagle, Shenandoah Sights

Oh Shenandoah
(Traditional)

Oh Shenandoah,
I long to hear you,
Away you rolling river,
Oh Shenandoah,
I long to hear you,
Away, I'm bound away
'Cross the wide Missouri.

Oh Shenandoah,
I love your daughter,
Away you rolling river,
I'll take her
'cross your rollin' water,
Away, I'm bound away
'Cross the wide Missouri.

'Tis seven years
since last I saw you.
Away you rolling river,
'Tis seven years
since last I saw you.
Away, I'm bound away
'Cross the wide Missouri.

Oh Shenandoah,
I love your daughter,
Away you rolling river,
Oh Shenandoah,
I'll come to claim her.
Away, I'm bound away
'Cross the wide Missouri.

In all these years,
Whene'er I saw her,
We have kept
Our love a secret,
Oh! Shenandoah,
I do adore her,
Away, I'm bound away
'Cross the wide Missouri.

Oh Shenandoah,
She's bound to leave you.
Away you rolling river,
Oh Shenandoah,
I'll not deceive you.
Away, I'm bound away
'Cross the wide Missouri.

--------

I spent another very nice day with Cheryl, this time on my side of the Potomac River. We watched some Robin of Sherwood, then went to a late morning showing of Eddie the Eagle since she hadn't seen it and I was more than happy to see it again for all the same reasons I loved it last time (Hugh, Taron, '80s music, winter sports, good sense of humor, underdog Eddie himself).

After the movie, we had a late lunch -- Mirch Masala because we were in the mood for Indian food -- took a walk around the neighborhood (bunnies were hiding but chipmunks were out) and watched Mad Max, which Cheryl also hadn't seen. After she had to go home, Paul and I  caught the return of Blindspot. Some more photos of things we saw Sunday around the Shenandoah Valley museum and the national park:


By a cannon outside George Washington's field office in Winchester, used by Washington while Fort Loudon was being constructed.


Early American furniture at the Museum of the Shenandoah Valley...


...and miniature furniture from the gallery of miniature houses and rooms there.


A tree house made by a local artist of local wood scraps and natural materials.


A reproduction of an early Virginia kitchen in the museum.


The gardens were closed for the season but these geese were hanging out by the gate, plus we could see cows from the farm next door.


Dinosaur Land in White Post, Virginia, magnificently tacky even just driving by!


The Shenandoah Valley from Skyline Drive.

No comments: