Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Poem for Wednesday, Baltimore, All-Star Game

Baseball and Classicism
By Tom Clark

Every day I peruse the box scores for hours  
Sometimes I wonder why I do it
Since I am not going to take a test on it  
And no one is going to give me money

The pleasure’s something like that of codes  
Of deciphering an ancient alphabet say  
So as brightly to picturize Eurydice
In the Elysian Fields on her perfect day

The day she went 5 for 5 against Vic Raschi

--------

Tuesday sucked, Wednesday's gonna suck hard, Thursday's gonna suck worse, and that's just my life, not even counting the state of the world which sucks more than I can remember feeling like it sucked since the night Operation Desert Storm started and I was sitting in a classroom pretending I cared about a pretentious paper by a male feminist expert on Modernist women's writing when I just wanted to get to a TV and find out what was going on, since I wasn't in the habit of looking on Usenet back then. Ahem. A few more photos from Baltimore, including pirate ships, aquarium animals, and, in honor of the AL about to win the All-Star Game which is now in extra innings, Oriole Park at Camden Yards:

DSCN8700

DSCN8704

DSCN8707

DSCN8708

DSCN8722

DSCN8741

DSCN8783

2018-07-14 20.24.30

No comments: