Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Poem for Wednesday and Pennsylvania Renfaire Halloween

Caelica - Sonnet 100
By Fulke Greville, Lord Brooke

In Night when colours all to blacke are cast,
Distinction lost, or gone downe with the light;
The eye a watch to inward senses plac'd,
Not seeing, yet still having power of sight,

Gives vaine Alarums to the inward sense,
Where feare stirr'd vp with witty tyranny,
Confounds all powers, and thorough selfe-offence,
Doth forge and raise impossibility:

Such as in thicke depriving darkenesses,
Proper reflections of the errour be,
And images of selfe-confusednesses,
Which hurt imaginations onely see;

And from this nothing seene, tels newes of devils,
Which but expressions be of inward evils.

--------

I had plans to get lots of things done on Tuesday, and then Gen 4 Pokemon unexpectedly arrived. So I ran out with my hair unwashed and no bra, thinking I was just going to drive through the park to see what I could catch, but I could see that there was a Turtwig by the train station and then I ran into a guy who'd never done a Mewtwo raid and was looking for people to battle with, so I summoned some locals on GroupMe and we did the raid at one of the park gyms and I caught Bidoofs and Bunearys and Kricketots and, eventually, Piplups, my favorite Pokemon of all because they're penguins!

It was otherwise an uneventful day involving laundry and food shopping and worrying about a friend whose family has suffered a loss, Adam flew this afternoon to California for a job interview, so I chatted with him online while his flight was delayed; he has landed and is hopefully enjoying the west coast weather. We watched this week's The Flash, which was okay -- I'm ready for everything not to circle around people's angst about their family members -- and Black Lightning, which does a much better job balancing family and community concerns. Halloween at the Pennsylvania Renfaire:

2018-10-14 14.33.18

2018-10-14 13.06.09

2018-10-14 15.36.32

2018-10-14 16.14.14

2018-10-14 14.49.27

2018-10-14 14.54.00

2018-10-14 14.41.11

2018-10-14 17.31.05

No comments: