Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Poem for Tuesday and National Zoo Cuties

Fox
By Alice Oswald

I heard a cough
as if a thief was there
outside my sleep
a sharp intake of air

a fox in her fox-fur
stepping across
the grass in her black gloves
barked at my house

just so abrupt and odd
the way she went
hungrily asking
in the heart's thick accent

in such serious sleepless
trespass she came
a woman with a man's voice
but no name

as if to say: it's midnight
and my life
is laid beneath my children
like gold leaf

--------

I went out to dinner with my friend Carrie so I am behind on everything this evening, but it was a fairly nice Monday -- chilly and a bit drizzly but we never got the actual forecast showers, I got some work done, I got the laundry done, and since we were meeting for dinner at Mod Pizza, I got to stop in Old Navy (the whole store was 40% off but so disorganized that I couldn't find anything I wanted in my size) and A.C. Moore ($3.99 mermaid glass bracelets).

When I got home, we watched this week's His Dark Materials, which I know I'm supposed to love but only kind of like, and Watchmen, which is dark and violent and also wryly funny and so well acted. I have leftover pizza for lunch tomorrow, so it's all a win! From the National Zoo on Saturday, fuzzy small mammals in the Small Mammal House and on the Asia Trail (Paul took some of these while I was catching Chimchar in the afternoon):

DSCN3686

DSCN3696

DSCN3938

DSCN3961

DSCN3865

DSCN3671A

DSCN3705

DSCN3975

No comments: