Sunday, October 06, 2024

Poem for Saturday and Salmon Days

Salmon 
By Kim Addonizio 

In this shallow creek
they flop and writhe forward as the dead 
float back toward them. Oh, I know

what I should say: fierce burning in the body 
as her eggs burst free, milky cloud 
of sperm as he quickens them. I should stand

on the bridge with my camera, 
frame the white froth of rapids where one 
arcs up for an instant in its final grace.

But I have to go down among 
the rocks the glacier left 
and squat at the edge of the water

where a stinking pile of them lies, 
where one crow balances and sinks 
its beak into a gelid eye.

I have to study the small holes 
gouged into their skin, their useless gills, 
their gowns of black flies. I can't

make them sing. I want to, 
but all they do is open 
their mouths a little wider

so the water pours in 
until I feel like I'm drowning. 
On the bridge the tour bus waits

and someone waves, and calls down 
It's time, and the current keeps lifting 
dirt from the bottom to cover the eggs. 

-------- 

I'm still somewhat jetlagged, so this may not make much sense, but we got lots of fresh air on Saturday at Salmon Days in Issaquah, which has hundreds of artisans and food vendors, live music, and lots of people visiting the fish ladder to watch the salmon as they return to the local streams to spawn. We only consumed Thai iced tea and the french fries that McDonalds was giving away, but we saw lots of glass, jewelry, carvings, handmade clothes, and fish-themed items, plus we saw the actual salmon swimming and jumping at the dam.

2024-10-05 14.27.19

2024-10-05 15.11.11

2024-10-05 13.53.46

2024-10-05 14.15.05

2024-10-05 15.17.55

2024-10-05 14.53.21

2024-10-05 15.36.05 

It was a Pokemon Community Day, so I caught a bunch of Sewaddles, including many shinies, at the festival and afterward. In the evening we caught up on the two episodes of Agatha All Along that we missed while we were in Ireland, around the University of Washington-University of Michigan game which was very close until the Huskies ran away with it at the end of the fourth quarter, and there was much local rejoicing. Now we're catching up on the Only Murders in the Building episodes we missed while we were away.

No comments: