By Christina Rossetti
Once in a dream (for once I dreamed of you)
We stood together in an open field;
Above our heads two swift-winged pigeons wheeled,
Sporting at ease and courting full in view.
When loftier still a broadening darkness flew,
Down-swooping, and a ravenous hawk revealed;
Too weak to fight, too fond to fly, they yield;
So farewell life and love and pleasures new.
Then as their plumes fell fluttering to the ground,
Their snow-white plumage flecked with crimson drops,
I wept, and thought I turned towards you to weep:
But you were gone; while rustling hedgerow tops
Bent in a wind which bore to me a sound
Of far-off piteous bleat of lambs and sheep.
--------
Most of my Friday was about entertainment! I did a bunch of computer work in the morning and we watched the South Park episode that's getting all the attention (Trump sleeping with Satan, having a micropenis, humping a sheep, admiring Andrew Jackson, ignoring Jesus, and the White House thinks the first three are worse than the last two). I did some chores, we ate lunch, and I caught up with a friend from before our trip.
Then we went out to see the new Fantastic Four movie. I don't think it's spoiling anything to say that it felt the most comic-book of any Marvel movie: the visual style is fabulous, the story predictable (and I still don't get the villain's motivation), and while it doesn't pass the Bechdel Test, I'm excusing it because nobody blinks at a pregnant woman going into space and the practicing Jewish characters are played by Jewish actors.
Both the Orioles and Mariners had late games with late miserable endings, though I missed the start of the former and end of the latter. After dinner, we watched the current ending of The Sandman, which is well acted and atmospheric though also messy. Now we're watching the end of this week's Resident Alien (sadly canceled earlier today) and are about to put on the new Foundation episode. From the movie today and the Marvel exhibit in 2018:







No comments:
Post a Comment