By William H. Davies
It was the Rainbow gave thee birth,
And left thee all her lovely hues;
And, as her mother’s name was Tears,
So runs it in my blood to choose
For haunts the lonely pools, and keep
In company with trees that weep.
Go you and, with such glorious hues,
Live with proud peacocks in green parks;
On lawns as smooth as shining glass,
Let every feather show its marks;
Get thee on boughs and clap thy wings
Before the windows of proud kings.
Nay, lovely Bird, thou art not vain;
Thou hast no proud, ambitious mind;
I also love a quiet place
That’s green, away from all mankind;
A lonely pool, and let a tree
Sigh with her bosom over me.
--------
I had a nice, fairly typical Wednesday on a cool and overcast summer day. I talked to three of my high school friends -- the fourth who is usually on this call is in Maine with her family, including her middle daughter and my younger son, who went kayaking today with Pepper. Then I ate lunch and watched the second half of The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies with Kristen and Laurie, with much mocking of excessive warg battles and Thranduil's hair, though I still think the dwarfs deserve better.
We took a walk to the beach in the late afternoon, much less crowded than earlier this week when it was in the 80s, then had veggie pierogis and kielbasa for dinner. Then we finished watching A Murder at the End of the World, which is dark, intense, humorless, very well acted, and I can't decide whether to file it under procedural or dystopia but it certainly held my interest. Birds we saw on the puffin tour including rhinoceros auklets, common murres, eaglets, kingfisher, osprey, oystercatchers, and gulls:







No comments:
Post a Comment