Monday, July 28, 2025

Greetings from Krypton

My Monday morning was unremarkable -- laundry, chores -- and I rushed to get things done after lunch because we'd decided to go see the new Superman movie. I really liked it -- Corenswet is likeable, Brosnahan is great, Hoult is suitably detestable though I'm a little confused why Lex Luthor hates aliens so much, Krypto may be my favorite character in the movie. I'd been advised that there was an Israel-Gaza parallel story but I think that interpretation's an extreme overreach; it's not even a solid Russia-Ukraine or Turkey-Armenia parallel, and it's annoying enough when people go on about how the Penguin in the old Batman movies is a Jewish stereotype when there are actual Jewish stereotypes all over movies no one complains about. I'll take a Jewish Superman actor as a win. 

We ate both nachos and popcorn at the movies, so we weren't at all hungry for dinner. Instead, since we were near downtown Redmond, we went for a walk on the Sammamish River Walk. There were lots of blackberries -- I ate some but we didn't bring anything to collect and bring them home in -- and many ducks and geese in the water, so we walked in sunshine and admired the salmon sculptures. Then we came home and saw the Mariners beat the As, munched some hummus, and watched the last two episodes of the second season of Poker Face, which I enjoyed though the show remains uneven for me (there aren't many shows that end with a stray dog getting rescued where I'm wishing the dog would run away). Now we're watching the Billy Joel documentary, which is great. From the riverwalk:

2025-07-28 18.36.01

2025-07-28 18.56.54

2025-07-28 18.42.08

2025-07-28 18.34.11

2025-07-28 18.40.56

2025-07-28 19.03.51

2025-07-28 18.47.08

No comments: