By Jack Prelutsky
She comes by night, in fearsome flight,
In garments black as pitch,
the queen of doom upon her broom,
the wild and wicked witch,
a crackling crone with brittle bones
and dessicated limbs,
two evil eyes with warts and sties
and bags about the rims,
a dangling nose, ten twisted toes
and fold of shriveled skin,
cracked and chipped and crackled lips
that frame a toothless grin.
She hurtles by, she sweeps the sky
and hurls a piercing screech.
As she swoops past, a spell is cast
on all her curses reach.
Take care to hide when the wild witch rides
to shriek her evil spell.
What she may do with a word or two
is much too grim to tell.
--------
After a lot of rain this week, Friday was a beautiful day. Unfortunately I had to go have a bunch of fasting blood tests in the morning, never my favorite way to start a day, but I sent Paul to Blazing Bagels after dropping me off at the lab, so then we came home and had fresh bagels for lunch. I had laundry to fold in the afternoon, and we also walked to the beach, though the sun is setting so early now that the clocks went back that we didn't get much sun. We came home and had loaded baked potatoes for dinner, which is one of my favorite chilly-evening foods.
Cheryl and I had plans to watch The Fantastic Four: First Steps together after dinner now that it's on Disney, which was lots of fun. Afterward Paul and I put on Materialists, which was a better movie than I was expecting -- Dakota Johnson was as good as Pedro Pascal and Chris Evans, which surprised me -- but it is neither a romance nor a comedy, and it's listed as both. Now we're watching the Wicked: One Wonderful Night concert, which is just a joy. These are models of early boats of the Pacific Northwest on display at the Burke Museum:







No comments:
Post a Comment