Friday, February 04, 2011

Poem for Friday and Backyard Visitors

This Moment, Yearning and Thoughtful
By Walt Whitman


This moment yearning and thoughtful, sitting alone,
It seems to me there are other men in other lands, yearning and thoughtful;
It seems to me I can look over and behold them, in Germany, Italy, France, Spain — or
    far, far away, in China, or in Russia or India — talking other dialects;
And it seems to me if I could know those men, I should become attached to them, as I
    do to men in my own lands;
O I know we should be brethren and lovers,
I know I should be happy with them.

--------

I had a very nice Thursday! I fought with work in the morning, then had lunch at the Corner Bakery with Vertigo66 so I could return the Colin Firth movies I borrowed from her and bring her some of mine. Then I went to do a bunch of chores at the stores near there -- it's in a Target-Kohl's-Barnes & Noble complex -- and remembered that since it was Thursday and now February, I could go get my monthly freebie from Bath & Body Works, which this month meant travel-size shower gel, lotion, and fragrance mist in any scent. On the way home, I stopped in a local store that's going out of business that has always carried Vera Bradley, and they had Pink Elephants cargo slings at 75% off, so now I can carry my camera, my Kindle, and all my other crap in a single bag for trips.

Then I came home, did a bit more work, and went out to dinner with Gblvr"> at the mall -- as is becoming our usual, we had Indian food. We also went into several clothing, jewelry, and cosmetics stores, though I was horrified to discover that the Icing is liquidating their jewelry holders. At home we watched $#!% My Dad Says (poor Lee Majors, Captain Kirk can beat you any time), then I was all excited to watch the cast of The King's Speech on Piers Morgan but yet again he postponed them to cover the situation in Egypt...which I agree is very important, but CNN had been covering it all day and I'm not entirely sure what he had to contribute to the reporting. Of course, I didn't stick around to find out; we watched Nikita instead, which was rather preposterous but quite enjoyable as always. Then we watched the Middle East coverage afterward (Colbert just said of the American attention span: "Ten days? I say free yourselves or get off the pot. We've got a Super Bowl coming."). Below is my late afternoon distraction, a squirrel and bird visiting my deck:









No comments: