Saturday, December 29, 2012

Placeholder for Saturday

Tonight my excuse for being brief is that we are watching a movie I don't even want to name -- oh fine, it's the Star Trek reboot, which two members of my family had not seen at all and one had only seen half of (Adam's analysis of the lens flares has turned it into a hilarious comedy, I must be certain to bring him to see Cumberbatch so he can whisper lens flare counts to me, since I still think the reboot is quite terrible). Earlier in the day we went downtown, then three of us had dinner with my parents while Adam went ice skating and to dinner with his girlfriend:


Our major objective was the wonderful Roy Lichtenstein exhibit in the National Gallery of Art's East Wing...


...which permitted no photos inside the exhibit, but the National Gallery owns several Lichtenstein pieces, including my favorites, his versions of Rouen Cathedral a la Monet.


I also enjoy his impressions of his own studio.


Of course we took the tunnels between the buildings.


In the west building of the National Gallery of Art we saw The Serial Portrait: Photography and Identity in the Last One Hundred Years and Imperial Augsburg: Renaissance Prints and Drawings, 1475–1540...


...plus we walked through the Masterpieces of American Furniture from the Kaufman Collection, 1700–1830.


Many of the downtown buildings still had holiday decorations up.


Despite the cold, there were several active squirrels...


...and lots of little birds looking for food.


We did not try to get to the fiscal cliff negotiations.

No comments: