Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Poem for Tuesday and Taughannock Falls

The Visionary
By Emily Brontë

Silent is the house: all are laid asleep:
One alone looks out o’er the snow-wreaths deep,
Watching every cloud, dreading every breeze
That whirls the wildering drift, and bends the groaning trees.

Cheerful is the hearth, soft the matted floor;
Not one shivering gust creeps through pane or door;
The little lamp burns straight, its rays shoot strong and far:
I trim it well, to be the wanderer’s guiding-star.

Frown, my haughty sire! chide, my angry dame!
Set your slaves to spy; threaten me with shame:
But neither sire nor dame nor prying serf shall know,
What angel nightly tracks that waste of frozen snow.

What I love shall come like visitant of air,
Safe in secret power from lurking human snare;
What loves me, no word of mine shall e’er betray,
Though for faith unstained my life must forfeit pay.

Burn, then, little lamp; glimmer straight and clear—
Hush! a rustling wing stirs, methinks, the air:
He for whom I wait, thus ever comes to me;
Strange Power! I trust thy might; trust thou my constancy.

--------

The only excitement of my April Fools Day involved online jokes -- Google Nose not all that impressive, but The Telegraph's story about Cameron Mackintosh commissioning a Les Mis-style musical based on Cameron and Clegg's failed romance and Shatner and Takei's competing claims about being cast in the Star Wars movie were funnier. Otherwise, I ran out to CVS while Adam and his girlfriend were biking to lunch and I walked around the neighborhood taking photos of bunnies and daffodils because it was too gorgeous a day not to enjoy the spring.

Evening involved getting laundry folded while watching the Les Mis DVD specials (I have suggested the Jackman workout to son, who thinks the chains might be overdoing it), then faux sausage and shells for dinner, then Dallas which this week had more teasing about Pam even though Victoria Principal swears she's not returning, plus Lee Majors showing up and romancing Sue Ellen (if she can't be governor of Texas, I approve of her dating the Six Million Dollar Man). Here are some photos of Taughannock Falls from both the overlook above the park and the trail to the base of the falls through the woods:


















No comments: