Saturday, September 27, 2014

Poem for Saturday and Legal Offspring

I Held a Jewel In My Fingers
By Emily Dickinson

I held a jewel in my fingers
And went to sleep.
The day was warm, and winds were prosy;
I said: "'T will keep."

I woke and chid my honest fingers,—
The gem was gone;
And now an amethyst remembrance
Is all I own.

--------

Friday was Daniel's 21st birthday -- none of us are sure how that happened so quickly! He had a huge project due in Operating Systems which he expected to take up most of the day (as indeed it had taken up most of the week), so I finished my review of Deep Space Nine's "Shadows and Symbols" (which is excellent, though DS9 really has no not-great episodes during its last season) and had lunch with Paul, who worked from home and made us eggwiches.

After the Nationals secured the NL's best record of the season, we went to College Park to have dinner with Daniel, Adam, and Adam's girlfriend at the Mexican restaurant Azteca, then to Cold Stone for ice cream. We left the latter two in College Park and came home to watch Sweeney Todd (Terfel and Quast great, Thompson okay though not particularly better than Bonham Carter in the movie, Mackey no more able to breathe life into Johanna than anyone else ever can). Pics:








No comments: