Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Poem for Tuesday, X-Men First Class, Downtown Color

That Music Always Round Me
By Walt Whitman

That music always round me, unceasing, unbeginning, yet long untaught I did not hear,
But now the chorus I hear and am elated,
A tenor, strong, ascending with power and health, with glad notes of daybreak I hear,
A soprano at intervals sailing buoyantly over the tops of immense waves,
A transparent base shuddering lusciously under and through the universe,
The triumphant tutti, the funeral wailings with sweet flutes and violins, all of these I fill myself with,
I hear not the volumes of sound merely, I am moved by the exquisite meanings,
I listen to the different voices winding in and out, striving, contending with fiery vehemence to excel each other in emotion;
I do not think the performers know themselves-but now I think I begin to know them.

--------

My Monday was not exciting, though I got to walk in the park once the pouring rain stopped and be grateful I didn't have to drive on the Beltway while three lanes of it right near me were closed due to flooding. It was a very gray, overcast day even when the storms started, but there are lots of flowers in the neighborhood -- still many azaleas and magnolias, some remaining cherry and early apple blossoms, the end of the daffodils, the start of the tulips, plus hyacinths in gardens and dandelions at roadsides -- so it wasn't gloomy. I had two long phone calls with friends who are having crazy springs due to changing job and family stuff, so that was nice, though made me bummed they're so busy.

I went to the food store with Paul before dinner and met MoCoPoGo friends for a quick raid. We watched tonight's Supergirl, which really confirmed for me that I'm not just bored with but disliking the show this season (I don't care about Winn or Mon-El's family angst, I am dreading watching them kill off Reign so Alex gets her insta-family, there's too little Kara and Lena). Then we watched X-Men: First Class, which is always a pleasure because McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence, and Hoult are great together. Now I am rushing because we have a bunch of weekend family plans to try to coordinate, so here are some more downtown flower and National Portrait Gallery photos!

2018-04-15 11.25.11

2018-04-15 11.22.20

2018-04-15 11.26.57

2018-04-15 11.27.14A

2018-04-15 13.23.09

2018-04-15 13.24.52

2018-04-15 13.36.06

2018-04-15 13.36.02

No comments: