Friday, September 21, 2018

Poem for Friday and Fontainebleau Style

No Swan So Fine
By Marianne Moore

"No water so still as the
    dead fountains of Versailles." No swan,
with swart blind look askance
and gondoliering legs, so fine
    as the chinz china one with fawn-
brown eyes and toothed gold
    collar on to show whose bird it was.

Lodged in the Louis Fifteenth
    candelabrum-tree of cockscomb-
tinted buttons, dahlias,
sea-urchins, and everlastings,
    it perches on the branching foam
of polished sculptured
    flowers-at ease and tall. The king is dead.

--------

I had a very boring day because I STILL do not have my van back, though at least tomorrow we'll have a loaner while they try to figure out exactly where the AC system is leaking (the good news is that the part may be under warranty, the bad news is that they didn't have it in the shop). I did not even leave the house till Paul got home, at which point we went to pick up the loaner, shopped at Giant, stopped at my parents to pick up some leftover bagels from breaking the fast, and went to a Mewtwo raid.

Shutterfly extended its free magnet offer a day because apparently hundreds of customers had the same problems with the site last night, so I made some more magnets from France, then I discovered that Kohl's had sent me a coupon for more free magnets with my bill, so that will be useful. Our friends told us while breaking the fast that we should watch Jack Ryan, so we started doing that; so far, quite well acted and gripping. Speaking of France, some of the grandeur of the royal apartments at Fontainebleau:

DSCN1586

DSCN1552

DSCN1597

DSCN1588

DSCN1566

DSCN1579

DSCN1581

DSCN1516

No comments: