Friday, March 08, 2019

Poem for Friday and Green Spring Geese

A Reflection of Beauty in Washington
By Jimmy Carter

I recall one winter night
going to the White House roof
to study the Orion nebulae,
but we could barely see the stars,
their images so paled by city lights.

Suddenly we heard a sound
primeval in its tone and rhythm
coming from the northern sky.
We turned to watch in silence
long wavering V's
breasts transformed to brilliance
by the lights we would have dimmed.

The geese passed overhead,
and then without a word
we went down to a peaceful sleep,
marveling at what we'd seen and heard.

--------

I had a fairly uneventful Thursday that mostly involved unexciting busy work. It was cold and clear, the perfect day to take a walk in the park, and we had leftover tofu saint-jacques which I ate very happily for lunch. I also read quite a bit because Katniss climbed on me on the couch.

We watched The Orville, which is quite good this season, even more Trek-like in the best ways. Then we watched the Irish episode of Finding Your Roots (O'Reilly and Maher, which I liked better than I expected). Geese from Green Spring Gardens, very hopeful that we'd feed them:

DSCN4923

DSCN4907

DSCN4911

DSCN4915

DSCN4917

DSCN4926

DSCN4930

No comments: