By Susan Rich
Because the call of shorebirds wakes me
and this morning I watched a seagull
sunbathe on a wine-colored Camaro.
Because the air offers up notes of saltwater
and scrub rose whenever I walk out the door
even if I’m on the way to the grocery store.
Because the wine, because Walla Walla—
and Hendrix. Because we travel
by ferry and the world’s longest floating bridge.
Because flocks of joggers along Alki Beach
nod a quick hello like gold finches
keeping apace to the beat of black wings.
Because tumbleweed and tulip—
fish ladder and the Looff Carousel—
because we have declared an official oyster.
Because hemlock, because humans who plant
sungold tomatoes and build boats from cedar and oak
Because I picked you from all 50 states
to be my valentine of sweet
onions and jazz apples. Because the rain.
Because someone chose a piece of petrified wood
for the state gem—and because without
the journey out West, we would never have met.
--------
I had my usual social Wednesday -- chat with my high school friends Hildy and Kay in the morning, watching the second half of Deadpool and Wolverine with Kristen and Laurie in the afternoon -- around lunch, chores, and a walk to the park. The temperature reached 40 degrees by then, but it set a record low in the morning and is 28 now going down into the teens again; the swans were out for a while nonetheless.
The Masked Singer is back, and while I know it's brain-rotting nonsense, it's easier to swallow than looking at the news. I want to know if the Ant could be Eliza Dushku though the internet thinks maybe Constance Wu. We caught up on Animal Control, and now we're watching the House with the teenage stalker, which feels wildly dated even compared to the XY chromosome woman. Winter at the Ballard Locks:







No comments:
Post a Comment