Saturday, July 25, 2015

Poem for Saturday, Jetrel, A Scanner Darkly, Lewis Ginter

Before
By Ada Limón

No shoes and a glossy
red helmet, I rode
on the back of my dad’s
Harley at seven years old.
Before the divorce.
Before the new apartment.
Before the new marriage.
Before the apple tree.
Before the ceramics in the garbage.
Before the dog’s chain.
Before the koi were all eaten
by the crane. Before the road
between us, there was the road
beneath us, and I was just
big enough not to let go:
Henno Road, creek just below,
rough wind, chicken legs,
and I never knew survival
was like that. If you live,
you look back and beg
for it again, the hazardous
bliss before you know
what you would miss.

--------

I did a lot of work in the morning because I had a busy afternoon schedule -- a dentist appointment (man, I hate those new tooth-polisher-scraper-waterboarding devices they use instead of old-fashioned tools and basins and running water), then meeting friends for what was originally going to be a viewing of Pixels but the terrible reviews persuaded us to change plans, so we went out to dinner with the same friends at the Cheesecake Factory.

Here is my review of Voyager's "Jetrel", one of the episodes I distinctly remembered from its first airing and it holds up really well. We just watched A Scanner Darkly with Adam -- pretty serious crack (literally), but RDJ and Woody Harrelson seem to be having a great time, then talked to Daniel, who has finished his first week at work and is going to a company picnic tomorrow! Here are some photos from Lewis Ginter's spring flower display:
















1 comment:

littlereview said...

Thank you! (Or rather thank the city of Baltimore!)