Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Poem for Wednesday and Non-Sharknado Beach

The Maldive Shark
By Herman Melville

About the Shark, phlegmatical one,
Pale sot of the Maldive sea,
The sleek little pilot-fish, azure and slim,
How alert in attendance be.
From his saw-pit of mouth, from his charnel of maw
They have nothing of harm to dread,
But liquidly glide on his ghastly flank
Or before his Gorgonian head;
Or lurk in the port of serrated teeth
In white triple tiers of glittering gates,
And there find a haven when peril's abroad,
An asylum in jaws of the Fates!
They are friends; and friendly they guide him to prey,
Yet never partake of the treat--
Eyes and brains to the dotard lethargic and dull,
Pale ravener of horrible meat.

--------

My Tuesday was fairly low-key. I did a bunch of chores in the morning, then went to meet Kay for lunch at our usual favorite spot, Tara Thai -- I have two usual favorites there, and I got the one I didn't get the night before for Adam's birthday. Then I did a bit of shopping in the complex where the restaurant is located, waved to the geese, and ducked back into the air conditioning out of the heat. After dinner (Belgian waffles, since it was Belgian National Day), we watched the end of Tut, which was reasonably entertaining.

The poem above is in honor of the fact that Wednesday is Sharknado 3 day! Yes, I know this is a stupid thing to be excited about, but grant me my pleasures. We are watching with Angela and Kevin while eating shark cupcakes and goldfish crackers, since they have not even seen the first two and obviously we need to remedy that for fans of old sci-fi B movies. In honor of the occasion, since I (thankfully) have never taken a photo of a shark at a seashore I've visited, here are some photos from Seattle's Olympic Beach:
















No comments: