Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Poem for Tuesday and More Goslings

The Laughing Heart
By Charles Bukowski

your life is your life
don’t let it be clubbed into dank submission.
be on the watch.
there are ways out.
there is light somewhere.
it may not be much light but
it beats the darkness.
be on the watch.
the gods will offer you chances.
know them.
take them.
you can’t beat death but
you can beat death in life, sometimes.
and the more often you learn to do it,
the more light there will be.
your life is your life.
know it while you have it.
you are marvelous
the gods wait to delight
in you.

--------

It was gorgeous on Monday, cool and breezy, so I had all my windows open while I scanned the proofs from my wedding and the photos from my bridal shower, rehearsal dinner, and the brunch my parents had for my relatives the next day while we were driving to Niagara Falls, plus the honeymoon photos that didn't make it into the album which is really more of a scrapbook so I scanned the full pages a couple of years ago. When Paul finished his afternoon phone conference, we went for a walk and saw lots of peonies and what I'm told is clematis emerging now that the azaleas and irises are fading.

Otherwise, it was an upsetting day. In the past week, I had a long-distance friend lose his mother and an in-law lose her father to COVID, and today I found out that a local friend had lost her sister who wasn't even 40. Given the statistics, it was inevitable it would affect people I know, and now more people are shopping and planning not-entirely-socially-distant travel and it's stressing me out. We spent the evening catching up on this season's final episodes of The Flash, and I was admittedly distracted but I think they were pretty terrible. Here are some more photos of Lake Whetstone's geese and goslings:

DSCN7460

DSCN7452

DSCN7410

DSCN7438

DSCN7463

DSCN7518

DSCN7418

DSCN7454

No comments: