Saturday, August 28, 2021

Poem for Saturday and Fair Goats

The Goat and I
By Robert Service
      
Each sunny day upon my way
A goat I pass;
He has a beard of silver grey,
A bell of brass.
And all the while I am in sight
He seems to muse,
And stares at me with all his might
And chews and chews.
 
Upon the hill so thymy sweet
With joy of Spring,
He hails me with a tiny bleat
Of welcoming.
Though half the globe is drenched with blood
And cities flare,
Contentedly he chews the cud
And does not care.
 
Oh gentle friend, I know not what
Your age may be,
But of my years I'd give the lot
Yet left to me,
To chew a thistle and not choke,
But bright of eye
Gaze at the old world-weary bloke
Who hobbles by.
 
Alas! though bards make verse sublime,
And lines to quote,
It takes a fool like me to rhyme
About a goat.

-------- 

I have a busy weekend ahead so I had a lot to get done on Friday, most of which I even finished. Friends from New York are going with us to a concert Saturday night and were driving down today, so we messaged and made some plans, and I watched this week's What If...? again with my friend in London, which was awesome (not even the episode as much as getting to watch it with her across five time zones). We had a massive thunderstorm that shut down my computer and some clocks, then we had dinner with my parents. 

When we got home, we watched Red Joan, based on a story I thought I knew; the acting was much better than the script, which tried to have it both ways making the main character guilty as hell of treason but, I guess, sympathetic because she was manipulated by others (since you can't trust Jews or Commies) and adultery is okay in a historic context (if it's true love), maybe? Not my favorite. Then we watched the first few episodes of The Chair, about which I'm reserving all opinions till I see how things are resolved! County fair goats: 

DSCN2024

DSCN2154

DSCN2030

DSCN2158

DSCN2018

DSCN2027

2021-08-21 15.13.17A

No comments: