Thursday, August 05, 2021

Poem for Thursday and Garden Structures

Winter Stars
By Sara Teasdale

I went out at night alone;
  The young blood flowing beyond the sea
Seemed to have drenched my spirit’s wings—
  I bore my sorrow heavily.

But when I lifted up my head
  From shadows shaken on the snow,
I saw Orion in the east
  Burn steadily as long ago.

From windows in my father’s house,
  Dreaming my dreams on winter nights,
I watched Orion as a girl
  Above another city’s lights.

Years go, dreams go, and youth goes too,
  The world’s heart breaks beneath its wars,
All things are changed, save in the east
  The faithful beauty of the stars.

 -------- 

As usual, the high point of my Wednesday was talking to my high school friends at lunchtime -- we started late, but everyone made it this week and we did a lot of catching up on people's travel, entertainment, and family tsuris! Otherwise, it was a fairly quiet, nice-for-August day with animals indoors and out, unfortunately including a giant camel cricket in the laundry room. 

We watched some Olympics, took a walk, had spaghetti and Beyond Meatballs for dinner, then watched the last two episodes of the third season of Wallander, which were a little less dark than before -- the Latvia one about corruption rather than psychosis, the religious fanatics with Lindsay Duncan getting a sort of happy ending. Sightseeing at Brookside Gardens the weekend before last. 

DSCN1089

DSCN1076

DSCN1088

2021-07-24 15.02.30

DSCN1072A

DSCN1073

2021-07-24 15.02.33

No comments: