Friday, May 16, 2014

Poem for Friday, Elementary, Maryland Prairie Dogs

Sonnet of the Sweet Complaint
By Federico García Lorca
Translated by John K. Walsh and Francisco Aragon

  Never let me lose the marvel
of your statue-like eyes, or the accent
the solitary rose of your breath
places on my cheek at night.

  I am afraid of being, on this shore,
a branchless trunk, and what I most regret
is having no flower, pulp, or clay
for the worm of my despair.

  If you are my hidden treasure,
if you are my cross, my dampened pain,
if I am a dog, and you alone my master,

  never let me lose what I have gained,
and adorn the branches of your river
with leaves of my estranged Autumn.

--------

We got thunderstorm and flood warnings from early in the morning, so I compressed everything I had to do out of the house early in the day, including a quick walk to see baby bunnies and the irises whose color is now replacing that of the azaleas, which are turning green. I was not too busy to fire off an email to the FCC, but they're not listening to us anyway. Adam came home right after school to go film a movie for his AP Literature class, which involved getting a scene with a lawn mower completed before the pouring rain started. I embellished a lamp and folded laundry while watching Wednesday's episode of The Americans, whose season, I fear, is Not Going To End Well, but at least it's still on next week.

We had a late dinner waiting for Adam to get back from filming his movie, then we watched the episode of DS9 that I need to review on Friday, followed by the Elementary season finale, which was not a happy note to end on in many ways though there was some great dialogue and Watson is always awesome. The Pacers regrettably eliminated the Wizards from the basketball playoffs; at least the Orioles won in Kansas City after not playing so well against Detroit. Friday night is prom night, so tomorrow I will be driving Adam back and forth various places before 36 kids take a bus to dinner, the dance, the after-prom party, and the after-after-party. I have no good segue to show off these Maryland Zoo prairie dogs:














No comments: