Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Poem for Tuesday and School Track Banquet

Flush or Faunus
By Elizabeth Barrett Browning

You see this dog. It was but yesterday
I mused, forgetful of his presence here,
Till thought on thought drew downward tear on tear;
When from the pillow, where wet-cheeked I lay,
A head as hairy as Faunus, thrust its way
Right sudden against my face,--two golden-clear
Large eyes astonished mine,--a drooping ear
Did flap me on either cheek, to dry the spray!
I started first, as some Arcadian
Amazed by goatly god in twilight grove:
But as my bearded vision closelier ran
My tears off, I knew Flush, and rose above
Surprise and sadness; thanking the true Pan,
Who, by low creatures, leads to heights of love.

--------

Another quickie because we were out till 10 p.m. at the outdoor track banquet, the last high school sports banquet I am likely to attend, well, ever. So although the speeches were as usual mostly too long and potluck was as usual not my very favorite foods, it was pleasantly nostalgic. Adam got another varsity letter button, a team captain pin, and a scholar-athlete certificate because he's had straight As while participating on the team, plus he got cookies, school sunglasses, and an award for being part of a trio of senior airheads:


Paper plate award to the Three Stooges.


The senior men eating together.


Adam making his senior farewell speech...


...and receiving his varsity letter button and captain's pin.


The seniors were given cookies and sunglasses...


...so they could look cool, or whatever the cool word for "cool" is these days.


The seniors posed for photos...


...as did everyone who earned a varsity letter.

Otherwise my day involved a trip to Michael's for inexpensive stopper beads, a walk to see the bunnies (for several days I have only seen one of the babies, which worries me, though I have seen the mom in several different places), leftover Mexican food from Sunday for lunch, and a cat stealing and chasing a twisty tie all over the house. Plus I had to attempt to decrypt Hugh Jackman's latest cryptic tweets about naughty things he's been doing. Will have to catch up on Warehouse 13 on Tuesday, and the Nats are in the 15th inning!

No comments: