Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Poem for Tuesday and Discovery Park

Free
By Kevin Killian

Free, the price tags shiny with white-out, it’s free,
I go shopping with Dodie, the red shiny bag at Kate Spade
on Grant, let’s go into Agnes B and see how much the
shirt cost that Chris and Brian bought me

Save, long time ago I thought you could save me
I pictured a dreamy house like Elizabeth
Robinson’s, with a sunken tub, but instead I settle
for Squalid Manor, Frank O’Hara’s dull apartment

“Build three more stately mansions, O my soul,”  
I hear a voice that rings, it might be Kylie Minogue
the sexiest tomboy beanpole on the planet,
that which I walked in size eight shoes, for to

Buy the ones we saw in the window, May sun
splattering them with pixels, we saw ourselves
the two of us, and I said, Ah, what’s the matter with me,
I have nothing to look forward to

Ship of pearl, which poets feign,
Sail the unshadowed main—
The venturous bark that flings, and suddenly
the pavement tears itself apart, a lift appears

Man comes up through the sidewalk
in front of Stella McCartney store in New York
a little bit down from Joe and Charlie’s
To have seen so much, to have missed so much!

Why, next time we will do better, till our
bleeding feet spurt compassion in our hearts—
in our next life when, perhaps, we will return
as a shell on the beach and a little pink kitten,

Lucy.

-------- 

I had a very nice Monday morning because I got to meet my friend Mary at Norby's Cafe -- my first time seeing her in over a year, though she has been in the state a couple of times to visit her mom, who lives near me! She took me out for breakfast and we caught up on the things we weren't already caught up on from Facebook. It was actually my first restaurant meal in Maryland since the pandemic started! My afternoon was less exciting, laundry and busy work, then we had a huge thunderstorm that disrupted baseball viewing. 

We had pancakes and veggie bacon for dinner because Paul was in the mood to use the blueberries we picked in pancakes, then we watched The Republic of Sarah (lots of smart women, pace is unrealistically fast but the show never gets bogged down) and I talked to my college roommate about her father's upcoming birthday party over July 4th weekend. I still haven't organized my photos from the beach at Sandy Point State Park last weekend, so here are some photos from the beach at Discovery Park in Seattle a few weeks ago: 

DSCN9140

2021-05-28 14.31.37

DSCN9128

2021-05-28 14.54.06

DSCN9125

2021-05-28 14.36.44

DSCN9148

No comments: