Saturday, October 16, 2021

Poem for Saturday and Maryland Renfaire Shows

Strawberries
By Edwin Morgan

There were never strawberries
like the ones we had
that sultry afternoon
sitting on the step
of the open french window
facing each other
your knees held in mine
the blue plates in our laps
the strawberries glistening
in the hot sunlight
we dipped them in sugar
looking at each other
not hurrying the feast
for one to come
the empty plates
laid on the stone together
with the two forks crossed
and I bent towards you
sweet in that air
in my arms
abandoned like a child
from your eager mouth
the taste of strawberries
in my memory
lean back again
let me love you

let the sun beat
on our forgetfulness
one hour of all
the heat intense
and summer lightning
on the Kilpatrick hills

let the storm wash the plates

 -------- 

I had a very busy Friday starting with a morning appointment for my Covid booster shot, which was at a different Walgreens than I got the previous ones at (not the closest one to my house, which has Moderna, but not as far as the first one, which was out of my county). Since I had to wait 15 minutes before leaving the store, I looked at Halloween decorations and did a Pokemon raid. 

 In the afternoon, Denise came over because she was in my area and we haven't seen each other in ages! We wanted to get together so I could give her some film books and she could give me some DVDs, though we didn't manage to go out for lunch because we'd snacked too much beforehand. Then I watched the last two What If? episodes with my friend in London, which was great fun. 

We took a walk in unseasonably warm mid-October weather, then went to my parents' for dinner. Now we have finished watching the first game in the Red Sox-Astros series, which unhappily did not end the way I wanted, but if the Sox beat them the next few, I will forget all about it. From the Maryland Renaissance Festival, some of the shows we saw, including Shakespeare, music, and acrobats: 

 2021-10-03 12.41.18

2021-10-03 11.35.02

2021-10-03 13.03.37

2021-10-03 13.33.03

2021-10-03 15.37.04

2021-10-03 16.02.07

2021-10-03 13.47.15A

2021-10-03 15.03.45

No comments: