Wednesday, May 04, 2022

Poem for Wednesday and McCrillis Azaleas

Azaleas
By Kim Sowol
Translated by David R. McCann

When you turn away from seeing me
and go,
gently, without a word, I shall send you away.

From Mount Yak in Yongbyon,
azaleas
I shall gather an armful and scatter them on your way.

Step after step away
on those flowers placed
before you, press deep, step lightly, and go

When you turn away from seeing me
and go,
thought I die, no, not a single tear shall fall.

-------- 

Tuesday has been a blur. Parts of it weren't terrible -- I spent the entire morning on the phone with friends, which was lovely, though the Supreme Court was a big topic of conversation, and the horror of it keeps hitting me anew. And however bad I think it is, it's pretty much impossible that I'll need an abortion in this lifetime and my marriage isn't going to be affected if Obergefell and Lawrence are next, though it honestly would not surprise me if the court revisited whether states have the right to ban marriage between people of different races or religions since protecting the rights of white men was the Founding Fathers' top priority. Alito says abortion rights are not "deeply rooted in history" and Loving v. Virginia was only a few tears before Roe. 

I am feeling exhausted and drained of energy even though I didn't stay up crazy late last night or get up very early in the morning. We did take a walk, because it was a gorgeous not-too-hot day and we have irises and hydrangeas coming up to replace the tulips and azaleas, then we had leftover Indian food for dinner and I watched Voyager's "Scorpion: Part 2" with my usual Tuesday group (I enjoy Jeri Ryan more these days but I know I'm watching the last few episodes in which I really loved Janeway before "Night" began to ruin her for me). And now we're catching up on the last couple of episodes of Is It Cake? because that is all my intellect can handle at the moment. From last weekend, some of the thousands of azaleas we saw at McCrillis Garden: 

2022-05-01 14.45.43

2022-05-01 14.58.19

2022-05-01 14.40.46

2022-05-01 14.46.42

2022-05-01 14.46.27

2022-05-01 14.53.17

2022-05-01 14.56.53

No comments: