Friday, March 20, 2026

Poem for Friday and Old Sturbridge Shop

General Store 
By Rachel Field 

Someday I'm going to have a store
With a tinkly bell hung over the door,
With real glass cases and counters wide
And drawers all spilly with things inside.
There'll be a little of everything:
Bolts of calico; balls of string;
Jars of peppermint; tins of tea;
Pots and kettles; and crockery;
Seeds in packets; scissors bright;
Kegs of sugar, brown and white;
Sarsaparilla for picnic lunches,
Bananas and rubber boots in bunches.
I'll fix the window and dust each shelf,
And take the money in all myself,
It will be my store and I will say:
"What can I do for you today!"

-------- 

I spent part of Friday putting together a waterproof storage box for our deck furniture cushions and a lot of time in the garage tracking down the box with the second bedroom couch covers and pillows, aided by getting rid of some more boxes to a British expat I met on Nextdoor's marketplace. Now we just need to build another bookcase and maybe a display case for upstairs plus some big plastic shelving units for the garage, and finish unpacking all the various boxes currently filling up the space behind the car. 

It was nice out while I was putting together the storage box, but turned chilly by the time we took a walk and was raining before we got back, visited by the bunny. Before dinner we saw the Maryland women win their first round in the NCAA tournament, and after dinner we watched Wicked: For Good, which is streaming on Peacock now. Tomorrow we're going back to Sturbridge Village for a Celtic festival but here are photos of Asa Knight's 1838 local and global import general store from when we were there earlier this month:

2026-03-08 13.00.13

2026-03-08 13.01.17

2026-03-08 13.00.35

2026-03-08 13.07.37

2026-03-08 13.06.04

2026-03-08 13.03.26

2026-03-08 13.01.34

No comments: